Now that you have got braces fixed on your teeth, it is important that you take proper care of them. Your orthodontist will explain to you in detail about ways to care for your teeth. Read on below for a few pointers of what to keep in mind while you have braces:
- Maintain your appointments regularly as scheduled so that your treatment is well managed and completed in time
- Take a painkiller as advised by your orthodontist in case you suffer from pain, which may be common in early stage of treatment.
- A special wax given to you by your orthodontist in case you develop an ulcer in your mouth because of the braces. Developing an ulcer is common in the initial stages of the treatment.
- Keep your braces and teeth clean. You will be shown through a video how to clean teeth with braces.
- You should gargle with water each time after a meal or snack.
- Inform your orthodontist if any bracket comes loose, and try to preserve the bracket, and bring it with you during your next visit.
- Wear your retainer regularly as advised by your orthodontist for the required duration so that your corrected teeth stay in position.
- Regularly clean your retainer each morning and remove it and keep it in a safe container at night.
- Do not eat candy or any other tough sugary food like chikki, thin crust hard pizza,etc
- Do not eat food which tend to stain your braces, (if u have the ceramic ones) like raw beetroot, etc
- Do not try to eat hard food for which you would require to bite with your front teeth. In case you want to eat tough foods like raw salads you should cut it in small pieces and eat with a spoon, trying to chew with your back teeth.
- Do not neglect your oral hygiene just cause you have braces on and think that you cannot keep it as clean.
- Do not continue bad habits like thumb sucking, tongue thrusting etc as it can compromise the result of your orthodontic treatment.
- Do not put your retainer in your pocket or in any way where it can get damaged. Put it properly in a special container when not in use.